Friday, August 15, 2008

Broken alarm clock

We haven't had to use an alarm clock since Oscar joined our family. He gets us up around 5 a.m. every day and ordinarily he sleeps very fitfully in the mornings, thrashing about and making noise.

This morning I had the scare of my life. Oscar went to sleep at 9 p.m. A little early for him, so I figured I might be getting up twice during the night to feed him. Sure enough, he was up at 2 a.m., about an hour earlier than usual. I expected to be up again at 4:30 or 5 a.m. So my heart stopped when I woke up in a light bedroom, looked at the clock and saw 6:48 a.m. I leaped out of bed and looked at Oscar. As I mentioned, he usually thrashes about and makes a lot of noise in the mornings. But there he was, lying in his bassinet, one arm out of his swaddle. I had to put my hand on his chest to make sure he was still breathing! And then about one minute later, I had to do it all over again.

Later, Adam and I will laugh at ourselves about how awfully frightening it is to get more than three hours of uninterrupted sleep.

For now, Oscar's up checking email with his Papa. Good morning!


kc said...

I've often wondered if the shock of waking up that way cancels out the benefit of such deep and uninterrupted sleep. Great pics ! It was lovely to see you and now to see you in the blog.

nicoleeo said...

That is too funny... I can totally relate Grady has done that. They are always changing just when ya think you have them figured out!

TABergin said...

Hi Melissa--
How awful am I? I meant to e-mail you when we got the birth announcement. And again when my Mom told me she saw Oscar's picture in the SJR. I'm so glad to included us in your blog list so I'd get off my lazy you-know-what and say HI! We don't have a blog, and in fact, yours is the first one I've even registered with to post a comment to. Someday I have to crawl into the 21st century.

We had a very similar experience with William. The first night he slept through till 5:30 instead of waking us up at 2 I was sure he'd died of SIDS and went flying down the hall. He was fine; sound asleep; happy as the proverbial clam. To this day he still sleeps like a fallen rock. He takes after his Uncle Brian and will be one of those people who needs a half gallon of strong coffee in the morning.

It is wonderful to know you are doing well, and someday we hope to make our way further west so we can visit you and our other friends who think we've fallen off the edge of the flat planet. :-)

DustyTymes said...

Thank goodness all is well!

It would probably be GREAT if he could keep to that 9pm sleep/2am feed/6:30am+ waking schedule.

Now... If you can only remember what you did the PREVIOUS day to make him snooze at 9pm???

Keep your energy up and rest when you can!

Anonymous said...

Loving your sense of wonder, and Oscar's surprizes! Valorie