Friday, July 4, 2008

At Last

I was dancing and singing with Oscar in my arms on Wednesday afternoon in his room, seeing if he would drift off to sleep. I chose the wedding soundtrack that Adam created on iTunes for our wedding (we just celebrated two years of marriage Tuesday!). Oscar was enjoying the tunes "Joy," by our friend Dan Jones, "Message of Love," by The Pretenders and some others. Then the song "At Last," sung by Eva Cassidy, came on. His eyes locked onto mine and he stared and smiled at me during the entire song. He may have been tuning in to me more deeply because I was emotional--my eyes filled with tears as I contemplated the lyrics I was singing to my newborn son, and remembered choosing the song to be performed at our wedding because those lyrics spoke to Adam and me. And now they take on a whole new meaning. Here's an excerpt:

At last
the skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up in clover
the night I looked at you

You smile
you smile
Ooh and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
for you are mine at last

1 comment: