Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Back to work

Just a quick update to let everyone know I survived my first day back at work.

I think I've mentioned before that I'm a crier. Happy, sad, proud, relief--many emotions evoke tears from me. So last night and this morning I cried and cried. I told Adam I didn't know how or when it was ever going to stop. I thought maybe I'd stop when I climbed into the shower. Nope. At least not right away. I was starting to tear up again when I thought of my Mom and heard her concerned yet stern voice: "You're going to make yourself sick!" She used to tell me this when I would cry for a long time (I've been racking my brain all day trying to remember what ever made me cry like this and can't remember. Weird.). And it was true: I'd exhaust myself and would often get sick shortly thereafter. Remembering that admonishment from my mother helped me settle myself. That, and imagining that my tears were using up all the liquid I need to make milk for Oscar!

Folks at work welcomed me back warmly and enthusiastically. I spent most of the day going through email and vmail. Adam brought Oscar by to nurse at 11:45 a.m. The little rascal wouldn't take much milk from a bottle at home; he also really struggled nursing. He did much better taking a bottle from Adam for the afternoon feeding. They walked in to pick me up from work just after 5:30 p.m. and we all walked home together, with a trip to the store on the way. Lovely.

Once home, I nursed Oscar while Adam made an incredible dinner of wilted spinach salad with all kinds of goodies in it and an equally yummy side of squash & onion sauté.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, thoughts and support to both Adam and me as we faced and now are making this transition. It helps.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man, Adam come to our house! we get leftovers, takeout or grilled chicken at my house when i am watching Eli. I am so glad you survived your first day and your next two will be fueled by that fantastic dinner :)

Anonymous said...

Melissa, you didn't tell me YOU had a blog too! Tisk, Tisk.

Going to work the first time is so hard, it sounded like at least you got visits. That makes it a lot easier.

What a lovely kid (keep him away from my daughters, BTW -- sorry just practicing)

Anonymous said...

I cried (and cried) when I returned to work after each of my kids were born, too! I hope it's eased up over the last few weeks. It's hard to imagine them at home without you watching over every move and gurgle, but it's so great that Adam and Oscar are getting that bond thing going on.